Monday, March 7, 2011

The Job and Smoking

I got a call this morning from a woman who offered me a job a couple of days ago.  She said she needed a resume and some additional info, and asked if I'd bring it by today before 6pm.  I told her I would, then hung up the phone and threw a mini fit.  I hate, hate, hate resumes.  Hate them.  Want to make me suffer?  Forget water torture, or fire ants crawling all over the body...sit my butt down and make me do resumes all day long and you've got me in hell before the day is even close to being done.  I think even a threat of making me do one would get me there.

So I suffered.  Sat down and made myself type one out, with my gut clinching in a hard knot the entire time.  Probably took me way longer than it does the average person...took me like 2 hours for a simple resume template.  What?  I told you I hate them.  But I finally got it done, and printed out, and life is once again grand, and I got in my truck to deliver the goods.

I don't know how it came up in conversation, but the woman asked if I smoked.  I told her I did, but was planning on quitting soon, (see Smoke and Mirrors).  She then announced the company will pay me to quit.  Come again?  She told me that's how she quit smoking 10 years ago.  The company PAYS an employee to quit smoking!  How cool is that?

My quit date was set for March 11th, (this friday, and don't think there isn't some little part of me not already wigging about it), but I may change it in light of this new development, depending on if I get the job that is, and when my start date would be.  I'm thinking positive.  I already made the decision and set the date for quitting smoking, and I've been gearing my mind toward the deed to help support myself in it, but this would be like an added bonus to help give me incentive.  As it is, I know I'm going to be doing ALOT of walking.  It's what I did the last time I quit many years ago.  I told my son-in-law that when I couldn't walk I'd just have to drop, no matter where I am, and do some ab crunches until the desire for a smoke passed.  I told him he may want to avoid going to the store with me for a while.  I love watching that bit of info filter through his mind, and then he looked at me and said, "Really?"  I just shrugged.  

So the job thing is looking hopeful, and if it ties in with my decision to quit smoking, then that's fantastic.  All things work together for good....life is good. 

---

No comments: