Sunday, February 6, 2011

Moving Into My Mother's House

Long story short:  I moved here to my mother's house just a little over a month ago.  My mother had a stroke about a year ago, and while I've been living in Oregon, my daughter and her husband have been living with my mother because she isn't well enough to live on her own.  There's actually quite a bit of back story to this entire situation, but that's not the purpose of this blog.  The purpose is to move forward from where we are right now.  Recently, my daughter joined the Navy, and will be leaving this week for Base Camp.  I've moved here to ensure that my mother is not alone.

So I've been here awhile, and still haven't completely moved in.  That's a picture of my SUV to the left there, and as you can see there are containers still in it.  That's going to change tomorrow.  My plan is to post a picture of an empty SUV after I'm done.   

I could say I haven't moved in yet because there's just no room in this house, or I got the flu for a couple of weeks, etc., but that wouldn't be quite true.  There really isn't much room here, especially with all the stuff my mother has collected, but I'm very talented with making the most out of space.  No, probably what's more true is that every time I look around I don't know where to begin, because this house needs a lot of work done in it, and I tend to get overwhelmed.  There is so much that needs my attention, ( finding a job for starters ), that it will most likely take me many months to bring it all together.  It really does feel like I'm tackling a huge mountain.  You will see as time goes on...

Yet there's no time like the present to begin, and that's why I'm here, writing in this blog, to help me help myself git r done!

So tomorrow is a new day, the flu is gone out of my body, and I plan on hunting for a job until mid-day, then tackling the unpacking of my vehicle, and doing the best I can to find a place for my stuff.  What I can't find a home for I'll try to fit in the storage room for now at the back of the house.  Although that in itself will be a challenge, because it's packed full enough as it is.  Another project.

In the near future I plan on getting rid of a lot of this stuff by having a carport sale, and hopefully help make a few bucks in the process to at least pay for the water bill or something.  After I move in, the next course of action is to begin clearing out and cleaning up the outside of the house, including the storage room.  I'll include before and after photos of my daily projects, if for no other reason than to see my own progress.  It's easy for me to get bogged down in all of it and not see the forest for the trees.  The summers hit early here in the Valley of the Sun, and I need to get started on the outside before it gets too hot to do so. 

So I'm viewing it as getting an early start on Spring cleaning :).

So that's it for now...I'll be back tomorrow evening with an update on my progress.  Until then, I'm rolling up my sleeves, puttin' my boots on, and wading through it.

No comments: